Just because gas prices have dropped doesn’t mean Ohio should build more highways. Recently, 700 Sierra Club members commented on the Ohio Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) 2014 Statewide Transit Needs Study. Now we have the opportunity to weigh in on the specific projects that ODOT will fund in 2015-2018.
We hope you can join the Sierra Club for our annual Chapter Retreat. As one of the largest and most influential environmental organizations in the state, this is the time each year where we celebrate our victories, renew our spirits, and make our plans the year ahead. All are welcome, and meals will be provided for members who register.
The Ohio Chapter’s Agriculture Committee works to address environmental and public health concerns by:
- Urging state agencies and lawmakers to support requirements that prevent large factory farm pollution, and ensure adequate enforcement of manure management laws.
- Working in partnership with statewide groups to challenge factory farm expansions or new facilities proposed in Ohio communities, and encouraging family sustainable conservation farming instead.
- Encouraging proper labeling of food products to inform consumers about the presence of antibiotics and hormones.
- Encouraging local, sustainable food production such as organic farms, farmers markets, school gardens and community gardens in vacant lots
- Working with local communities to adopt resolutions that encourage healthy diets, including fresh local produce and less red meats
- Educating the public about the impacts of our food decisions on global climate change.
- Educating agricultural producers about climate impacts to their sustainable farming future
- Working with legislatures to assure adoption of agricultural policies and funding for best management practices
- Working on solutions to reducing phosphorus and nitrogen pollution, in an effort to limit Toxic Algae problems in Ohio
Want to join our work?
The Agriculture Committee invites you to get involved. Contact Tony Szilagye to find out how you can help.