Just because gas prices have dropped doesn’t mean Ohio should build more highways. Recently, 700 Sierra Club members commented on the Ohio Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) 2014 Statewide Transit Needs Study. Now we have the opportunity to weigh in on the specific projects that ODOT will fund in 2015-2018.
We hope you can join the Sierra Club for our annual Chapter Retreat. As one of the largest and most influential environmental organizations in the state, this is the time each year where we celebrate our victories, renew our spirits, and make our plans the year ahead. All are welcome, and meals will be provided for members who register.
Gas and Oil Fracking
The Ohio Chapter Gas and Oil Fracking Committee is comprised of Sierra Club members from across the state who are working to protect Ohioans from the impacts of horizontal hydraulic fracturing drilling “Fracking.”
The Ohio Chapter fracking committee opposes fracking in Ohio because of the inadequate regulation, the lack of scientific study, the inability of industry to safely dispose of waste, and the negative impacts to land, air, and water. Thus, the Chapter supports a statewide moratorium on fracking until these problems are addressed and eliminated. Because of safety concerns with disposal of fracking waste, the Chapter supports a ban on Class II injection wells in Ohio and the reclassification of fracking flowback and brine as hazardous waste. We also oppose brine spreading on roads and treatment in municipal wastewater treatment plants. Finally, the Ohio Chapter opposes all drilling activities in state and federal parks and forests. To achieve these goals, our committee:
- Educates Ohioans about horizontal fracking and its dangers.
- Assists local communities and governments in protecting themselves from potential and existing fracking activities.
- Lobbies state agencies and the legislature to improve fracking regulation to ensure safety for Ohioans and our environment.
- Advocates for the protection of our parks and preserves from drilling.
- Promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy as the truly sustainable, long term solution to America’s energy needs.
Go to this page for more information on Fracking.
Check out our water monitoring program.
Contact Brian Kunkemoeller, Gas Ohio Chapter fracking staff, for more information and to get involved.