Sewage overflows continued to plague Ohio this spring, and Cincinnati led the way.Did you know that Ohio leads the nation in Combined Sewer Overflows, and that Cincinnati is the third worst city in the country?
Keep Radioactive Fracking Waste out of Ohio’s Landfills
The fracking industry has a problem – it generates toxic, radioactive waste in the forms of mud from drilling, and liquid from the chemical cocktails used to get fossil fuels from deep underground – and they don’t know where to put it.
95% of Carroll depends on groundwater and yet, over the next ten years, ODNR will allow 2,000 unconventional gas wells and permit an underground coal mine without informing the public about potential impacts on water quality.
Gas and Oil Fracking
The Ohio Chapter Gas and Oil Fracking Committee is comprised of Sierra Club members from across the state who are working to protect Ohioans from the impacts of horizontal hydraulic fracturing drilling “Fracking.”
The Ohio Chapter fracking committee opposes fracking in Ohio because of the inadequate regulation, the lack of scientific study, the inability of industry to safely dispose of waste, and the negative impacts to land, air, and water. Thus, the Chapter supports a statewide moratorium on fracking until these problems are addressed and eliminated. Because of safety concerns with disposal of fracking waste, the Chapter supports a ban on Class II injection wells in Ohio and the reclassification of fracking flowback and brine as hazardous waste. We also oppose brine spreading on roads and treatment in municipal wastewater treatment plants. Finally, the Ohio Chapter opposes all drilling activities in state and federal parks and forests. To achieve these goals, our committee:
- Educates Ohioans about horizontal fracking and its dangers.
- Assists local communities and governments in protecting themselves from potential and existing fracking activities.
- Lobbies state agencies and the legislature to improve fracking regulation to ensure safety for Ohioans and our environment.
- Advocates for the protection of our parks and preserves from drilling.
- Promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy as the truly sustainable, long term solution to America’s energy needs.
Go to this page for more information on Fracking.
Check out our water monitoring program.