We hope you can join the Sierra Club for our annual Chapter Retreat. As one of the largest and most influential environmental organizations in the state, this is the time each year where we celebrate our victories, renew our spirits, and make our plans the year ahead. All are welcome, and meals will be provided for members who register.
In June 2014, Governor Kasich signed into law a bill that guts Ohio’s clean energy and efficiency standards. Passing this new law was not enough for Ohio’s utilities, though.
Now, Ohio’s largest electric utilities, AEP, Duke, and FirstEnergy are seeking to keep a number of Ohio’s oldest and dirtiest power plants open for years to come.
And they want you and me to pay for it.
Write Letter to Editors
To maximize the chance of getting published, Sierra Club crafted a simple guideline based on our experience working with the media. Feel free to use it. Please contact Samantha Allen at 614.461.0734 x313 to let her know when and where your letter gets published so we can post it to our website.
How to write a Letter to Editor
- Keep it brief
- Less than 200 words. Focus your letter on one point and don’t bring up other issues in your writing. Stick to your point. Do not repeat your opponent’s arguments or take the myth/fact approach. Restating a contrary position only serves to put it in print once again.
- Make it local and original
- Newspapers care about what affects the people who buy their newspapers.
- Make it timely
- Relate your letter to an article or issue that has been printed recently.
- Include your contact information:
- Full name, address, phone number, email
- Follow up
- Make sure to call the newspaper and ask if they received your letter (this will increase the chances of them printing your letter!) Show how your issue will have a local impact, or how it will affect you or your family. Do not copy talking points or materials verbatim. Use your own voice and story.
Daniel Hribar, Columbus Dispatch, November 19, 2014
Howard Miller, Columbus Dispatch, October 17,2014
Brandon Swanzer, The Lantern, November 2,2014
Brandon Beck, Columbus Dispatch, January 16, 2014
Natasha Ghica, Columbus Dispatch, November 7, 2013
Natasha Ghica, Columbus Dispatch, August 6, 2013
Natasha Ghica, Columbus Dispatch, July 26, 2013
Natasha Ghica, Columbus Dispatch, May 23, 2013
Laura Lonski, Columbus Dispatch, May 12, 2013
Kevin Howells, Columbus Dispatch, April 2, 2013
Robert Kyle, Columbus Dispatch, March 21, 2013
Natasha Ghica, Columbus Dispatch, March 5, 2013
Ben Wickizer, Columbus Dispatch, February 4, 2013
MaryAnn Kafer, Columbus Dispatch, February 5, 2013
Kevin Howells, Columbus Dispatch, January 20, 2013.
Natasha Ghica, Akron Beacon Journal, December 6, 2012
Laura Lonski, Columbus Dispatch, October 26, 2012
Joe Jennings, Columbus Dispatch, October 20,2012
Austin Stahl, Cincinnati Enquirer, July 27, 2012
Amber Bellamy, Columbus Dispatch, July 5, 2012
Laura Lonski, Columbus Dispatch, June 24, 2012
Ashley Hilyard, Columbus Dispatch, Mar. 30, 2012
Gerry Kraus, Cincinnati.com, Feb. 28, 2012
Amy Francis, Cincinnati.com, Feb. 28, 2012
Jamie Wilson, Columbus Dispatch, Oct. 21, 2011
Laura Lonski, Columbus Dispatch, Nov. 9, 2011
Kevin Howells, Columbus Dispatch, November 6, 2011
Rachel Hyden, The Athens News, September 28, 2011
Morgan Veach, Cleveland Plain Dealer, July 11, 2011
David Donofrio, Columbus Dispatch, July 6, 2011
Elise McMath, The Athens News, Jul. 4, 2011
Cate Matisi, The Athens News, Jun. 29, 2011
Jamie Wilson, Columbus Dispatch, June 24, 2011
Sarah Prunty, Columbus Dispatch, June 22, 2011
Margaret Cunningham, Columbus Dispatch, Dec. 02, 2010
Karen Kindel, Canton Rep, Nov. 30, 2010
Anthony Szilagye, Toledo Blade, Sept. 09, 2010
Laurel Hopwood, Cleveland Live, Sept. 08, 2010
Yand Xing, Columbus Dispatch, Aug. 15, 2010
Alex Thomas, Columbus Dispatch, Jul. 08, 2010